For any business, including a freelance writing business, goal setting is essential to measure progress, ensure you are moving forward, and make necessary adjustments along the way. This will also help you build the quality of life you desire and be able to work around your circumstances. But before we dive into the goals of a freelance writing business, let’s first understand what freelance writing is, its benefits, and its challenges.
What Is Freelance Writing?
Freelance writing is a type of self-employment where individuals write for other businesses on a contract or per-project basis. Freelance writers in this type of business may specialize in writing books, web content, blogs, articles, marketing materials, or other forms of writing for clients. They are not employed by a single company or organization but work independently. The great thing about freelance writing is that it can be done from anywhere in the world, as long as you have a computer and an internet connection. It is a great way to earn money while having the flexibility to work from home or anywhere with an internet connection.
What Are The Benefits Of Freelance Writing?
There are many benefits to being a freelance writer. Some of these include:
- Working from anywhere in the world, as long as you have an internet connection.
- Managing your own time by being able to choose your hours and work around your other commitments.
- Being able to work on a variety of different projects, giving you a broad range of experience and edge over the others.
- Building up a good reputation and repeat clients by delivering high-quality work.
What Are The Challenges of Freelance Writing?
There are several challenges faced by freelance writers. Some of these challenges include:
- Finding enough work to support themselves financially
- Dealing with rejection from editors or clients
- Maintaining a high quality of writing amidst tight deadlines and multiple projects
- Constantly having to promote their business and services
Despite the challenges faced by freelance writers, many can achieve their business goals and build successful careers. With dedication and hard work, any freelance writer can reach their desired level of success.
Now that we understand what freelance writing is and some of the benefits and challenges that come with it, let us dive into setting goals for your freelance writing business.
Freelance Writing Business Goals
As a freelance writer, it is important to set business goals to help you measure your progress and ensure that you are moving forward in your career. There are many different goals that a freelance writer may have for their business. Some freelance writers may simply want to earn enough money to cover their living expenses, while others may want to build a successful and profitable business.
When setting goals for your freelance writing business, it’s important to keep the following things in mind:
- Be realistic- Set goals that you know you can reasonably achieve given your current situation. Vague goals are more difficult to achieve than specific ones. Make sure your goals are clearly defined.
- Set a deadline- Having a timeline for your goal will help you stay on track and motivated to achieve it.
- Start small- Don’t try to accomplish too much at once. Start with small, achievable goals and gradually increase them as you go.
- Be specific: Vague goals are harder to achieve than specific ones. Make sure your goals are well defined and that you have a plan for how to achieve them.
- Write them down- Having your goals written down will help to keep you accountable and motivated.
- Make sure they’re attainable- There’s no point in setting goals that you know you’ll never be able to achieve. Make sure your goals are something that you can attain if you put in the work.
As with any business, it’s important to have both short-term and long-term goals. Short-term goals are those that are possible to be achieved in a year or so, while long-term goals are those that can only be achieved in the long run, within 5 years or so.
Short Term Goals:
Some examples of short-term freelance writing goals could include:
- Pitching your services to x number of companies or organizations per week. Be ready to show your portfolio and sell them to your potential clients.
- Writing and publishing x number of blog posts per month. It is essential to consistently write even if there’s no demand for it. This will help you sharpen your skills and discover new topics and styles to write on.
- Landing x number of new clients within the next six months.
Long Term Goals:
- Having a steady stream of work from repeat clients. Look for potential clients that have long-term engagement opportunities.
- Becoming a well-known expert in your niche. Build your brand.
- Making a full-time income from your freelance writing business. When this may sound impossible, it can very well be achieved through dedication, passion, and handwork. If you love what you do, this will not be hard for you.
These are just some examples of goals that you could set for your freelance writing business. The important thing is to start small and gradually increase your goals as you gain more experience and confidence in your business. If you set unrealistic goals, you’ll only end up disappointed and discouraged and that’s something that we do not want to happen.
Freelance business goals are important, but so is having a strategy to achieve those goals. Here are some strategies to achieve the goals of a freelance writer:
- Writing quality content that appeals to their target audience.
- Promoting their business through social media and other online channels.
- Building positive relationships with clients and editors.
- Offering competitive pricing for their services. Make sure that you are aware of the market price and are ready to adjust accordingly.
Freelance writing can be a rewarding and challenging career. It takes dedication, hard work, and a willingness to promote your business to succeed. By setting realistic goals and developing a marketing strategy, you can build a successful freelance writing business. With time and effort, you can achieve your desired level of success.
You may also find these helpful:
Who Is A Freelance Financial Writer
How To Improve Business Writing Skills
What Are Convention Skills In Writing
How To Build Writing Skills: A Complete Guide